Carnivorous Plants/Repot Heliamphora

QUESTION: Hey guys Jason from AZ here. Could you tell me if I should put my Heliamphora into fresh soil? It's been in its same soil about a year now. Thanks

ANSWER: If your plant is growing well, you can keep it in the same soil for up to two years.  The only time we change the soil is when we repot to a larger pot or divide the plant.  Other than that, we've gone 3-4 years with the same soil in some instances.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: Thanks Jacob, the reason I asked is because the plant is putting out smaller pictures than last year at this time. It has a pretty large crown and I recently trimmed all the old larger growth that was dying to open up the lower portion of the plant to light. So I thought that this smaller growth may be due to older soil. Thanks for any follow up info.

The smaller growth might be a new shoot developing.  It could also be a nutrient issue.  Make sure to spritz your plant with a fertilizer if you're concerned about malnutrition.  Poor soil rarely results in smaller growth.  Instead, you end up with no growth!  Soil pathogens are usually the culprit.  If you need further assistance, upload a photo and more info about your growing conditions.

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!