Carnivorous Plants/Repot Heliamphora

Question
QUESTION: Hey guys Jason from AZ here. Could you tell me if I should put my Heliamphora into fresh soil? It's been in its same soil about a year now. Thanks

ANSWER: If your plant is growing well, you can keep it in the same soil for up to two years.  The only time we change the soil is when we repot to a larger pot or divide the plant.  Other than that, we've gone 3-4 years with the same soil in some instances.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: Thanks Jacob, the reason I asked is because the plant is putting out smaller pictures than last year at this time. It has a pretty large crown and I recently trimmed all the old larger growth that was dying to open up the lower portion of the plant to light. So I thought that this smaller growth may be due to older soil. Thanks for any follow up info.

Answer
The smaller growth might be a new shoot developing.  It could also be a nutrient issue.  Make sure to spritz your plant with a fertilizer if you're concerned about malnutrition.  Poor soil rarely results in smaller growth.  Instead, you end up with no growth!  Soil pathogens are usually the culprit.  If you need further assistance, upload a photo and more info about your growing conditions.

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest