Carnivorous Plants/How to apply insecticide

Drosera filiformis
Drosera filiformis  
I have a drosera filiformis. I found out it had some mealy bug on it. I got the insecticide but I don't know how to apply it how should I?

Hi John,

Odd, never heard of a Dewthread getting Mealy bugs.  In any case, spray the crown of the plant.  Usually sucking insects can't maneuver the mucilage too well, but love going for the crown of the plant where the new growth is.  It will help if your insecticide is a systemic such as imidacloprid or acephate.  Bayer products contain imidacloprid, and acephate is Orthene.  After you spray the crown just follow the directions on your particular product for re-application if that is needed.  For more information on safe insecticides for carnivorous plants see our podcast on this subject:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!