Carnivorous Plants/Drosophyllum winter care

Good evening, and I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
My question is about winter care for drosophyllum.

I live in Dallas, Tx. The winters here are bi-polar at best. One year we have weather freezing and below for weeks, and the next one would barely need a sweater when going outside.

At what point should I bring my drosophyllum inside to prevent it from freezing to death?

Thank you so much for your time!

-MJ Merchant

Hi MJ,

Since Drosophyllum is from Spain and Portugal, they do experience an occasional frost in nature.  They can handle down to about 28 degrees, but not much colder than that.  If you think you're going to get a frost, but it will be in the 60's and 70's during the day, you're probably fine.  Any colder than that, and if the days are going to be cool too, time to bring it in.  They will do fine in a sunny window for the winter.  For wintertime, a South window would be ideal.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!