Carnivorous Plants/First cephalotus ever!

Question
So i have a couple questions actualy, i hope you dont mind. First off i life on the central coast of california zone 16 i think, the weather here is very mild,the last frost was 4or5 years ago and wasand probly 5years before that so i grow most of my cp's outdoors exept for a nepenthis alba and a pinguicula  moranensis wich i riecently obtaind and hav in a 50 galon terarium with 3 other subtropical drosera. i just orderd a cephalotus wich should be here by the end of the week hopfuly. This being my first ceph i realy want it to be happy. I was wondering what your thoughts were on where i should grow it? I was planing on having it in my terarium because i figure i could keep a beter eye on it but would it do beter outdoors year round here? Also is there any tips or tricks to minimise transit shock? Superthrive maby? I orderd it from sarrecenia northwest so im not sure if they were greenhouse grown or not, the plants are established seedlings in 3in pots. What would be your ideal terarium set up for a 50 galon rectangle aquarium to grow the most wide range of cps? I want to have nepenthis,cephalotus,drosera, mexican pinguicula,and other random cp's in one tank. What temp range should i keep it in to keep all these plants happy? And how close should i keep my ceph and neps to the lights if im using a 4bulb t-5 set up? 8bulb set up? Im curently using an8 bulb t-5 set up right now because thats what i could get for free but i plan on downsizing to a 4 bulb set up when i can afford it. Lastly what spectrum do you recomend for all around plant growth? 2cool 2warm or 4bulbs ofwarm lights or 4bulb cool lights i think that would be blue and red spectrums. Thank you for your time and any help provided. Norman C. Much love from Cen Cal!

Answer
Ceps
Ceps  

#2 Ceps
#2 Ceps  
Hello Norman, So happy you have plans to start growing your first 'Western Australia Pitcher Plant know I was and for me I have been growing CPS for many years BUT, only two years in trying the Ceps, because of the cost and just found them of good size, etc. I have great news for you, from everything you have stated about your set-up you are going to have little to NO problems in having thriving Ceps! I have found that most CPS and yes the Ceps. thrive with the 'Red spectrum but I have been using the, 48" fluorescent F40T12 I get at Lowes or Home Depot,and have been using these for over 10 years now with great great and thriving plants! I have three double tube fixtures with each tube 40 watt/1900 lumens! You will found that your Ceps enjoy fresh air from time to time but still need lots of humidity to thrive! The best conditions are with Day time Temps 75-88 degrees with night time temps. 50-70 degrees and I keep mine at about 65%-75% humidity and even your sundews will thrive with great humidity I have found! I have my lighting about 6"-12" from the tops of my CPs for the best coloring! I grow all my CPs in terrarium something 'Sarrecenia Northwest' don't a prove of but these guys have some great plants for I have ordered many from them! I hope is helps you and if I can help after your plant is planted please let me know! Your friend, Dan #Daniel Lee Bowen#

Carnivorous Plants

Daniel Lee Bowen