Carnivorous Plants/Funny colours

Dana\'s delight
Dana's delight  
Hi it's me again, apologies for the excessive questions, I only want the best for my plants. My sarracenias have been developing some funny colour lately, my Dana's delight has some curious red spots at odd places on the green part of the leaf, and my excellens is going dull on the lids.
To refer to the photo of my excellens, the one of the left is the oldest leaf and the one in the middle is the youngest.

Hi Danny,

Thank-you for sending the photos.  It always helps.

Your plants look perfectly normal.  Sarracenia get all kinds of colors over the growing season, and unless you see something that actually looks like damage, you have nothing to worry about.  I have one hybrid out in the nursery that always gets lots of red spots during the summer, and it looks like it has some kind of fungus, but it just seems to be part of the plant's natural color.  Daina's Delight is a very red plant, so red spots are going to be normal unless the area look like some tissue death is occurring.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!