Carnivorous Plants/Knats

I live in Oregon like you,so we may have similar kinds of pests.
I always have very small flys or knats flying around in my greenhouse and I also see them on top the nepenthes media too.I have looked around and cant find anything about this on the net.I have watched your pest/insecticides vid on youtube and has been great info.
My question is could these fly/knats be causing some of my Neps.problems.Have you heard of this before?Iam afraid of them maybe laying eggs in the media and causing problems if so what would you recommend/product/chemical.Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, gnats can be a problem for Nepenthes and other plants.  They lay eggs in the soil, and the larvae will munch on the roots.  Use a systemic insecticide as discussed in the video on Youtube.  All the information you need is in the video.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!