Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Jamban not growing at all

Nepenthes Jamban
Nepenthes Jamban  

Nepenthes Jamban
Nepenthes Jamban  

I have a nepenthes Jamban that I have been giving coffee about every 2 weeks.  The plant appears that it is not growing all that well.   The outer leaves have begun to turn yellow,and begun to die.  I Have attached 2 pictures to this email.  I read some where that you can give a plant  a weak solution of sugar in water.  Would that have any effects on the plant?  Thank you for your time.

Weylin C

Your plant is showing signs of over feeding.  I'm not sure what strength you were using, but even with coffee you need to dilute it.  It is possible that the plant suffered some root damage from the coffee, depending on the strength.

I recommend that you stop using coffee.  You should also repot your plant into fresh Nepenthes soil.  If you don't have any on hand, flush your plant with distilled water.  You may need up to a gallon of water to flush out excess nutrients.  Allow the water to drain through to flush out what you can.

Do NOT use sugar water.  Sucrose, or table sugar, is the wrong type of sugar for plants.  They also do NOT absorb sugars in their roots.  Instead, they create sugar (in the form of glucose) from sunlight through a process called photosynthesis.  If you water your plants with sugar water, you may potentially harm the roots by changing the osmotic potential.  

For now change the soil or flush it with distilled water.  Avoid using coffee or sugar water with your plant.  Water your plant only with distilled water for now.  Give your plant lots of sunlight from a sunny south window.  It may take several months for the plant to perk up again.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!