Carnivorous Plants/Pots may be too small for overwintering outside

I recently purchased various Sarracenia plants from Sarracenia Northwest. I live in Western Oregon (Zone 8a) and the plants are outdoors in full sun (what little we are getting these days) in trays of water. I also have two rescued VFTs in pots with the original potting mix.

I love the quality of the plants you sell and want them all to survive the winter in great shape.

The plants are in 3" or 4" pots and I am concerned that the pots may be too small to overwinter safely. I don't want to bury them in mulch/compost if I can avoid it.

I was wondering if I should re-pot them now to 5" to 8" pots or just place the existing pots in larger pots filled with the 50:50 mix of peat/perlite - then re-pot in the spring?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bill,

Transplanting them to larger pots is a very good idea.  You could also put them together in a larger planter.  The plants are dormant now so they won't be disturbed much.  Most of the North American carnivorous plants are not that sensitive to transplanting anyway.  The only thing you don't want to do this time of year is division of Sarracenia.  That is best done in the spring.

Since your are in Western Oregon, the only concern for your plants in the winter is if we get an Arctic front that moves in and causes our temperatures to drop into the low 20's and teen's at night.  No matter how you have your plants potted you need to then bring them into a shelter of some kind, or cover them with black plastic until we are back to regular winter rain, then take the plastic off.  Bringing them into a garage or shed will work too.  You also want to make sure the plants are on the ground, not up on a table, shelf, or deck.  The ground contact gives them just that extra little bit of heat to survive a hard cold spell.

One special note on your Venus flytraps.  If you got these in a store recently, they are not acclimated to winter yet.  You can put them outside, and as long as we are only having rain, your fine.  Protect them well if you get a frost.  You could also just overwinter them in a cold windowsill until late March, then put them outside to stay.  If you have them indoors, or if you store them and other plants in a place like a garage, be sure to spray liberally with a fungicide.  We show you how to do this in our volume #1 DVD.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!