Carnivorous Plants/My Cephalotus

Hi Guys,
I have a question in regards to dormancy.
I am concerned that my Cephalotus is not going into dormancy,
Because it is only making pitchers and no leaves!
Here is its growing conditions,
Light, 2, 40 watt florescent tubes that are 5 above the plant.
I have the light on from 7am to 8pm, I did not bother moving the timer with day light saving time.
So instead of 7 to 8 its more like 6 to 7
I water when needed, when moss starts to dry a little.
This watering technique  seems to work very well because the moss is like a timer.
Should I be worried ?

Also wanted to add, I reduced the amount of hours the lights are on by one hour about a month to a month and a half ago.

Thanks, Jake

Hi Jake,

Your Cephalotus looks fantastic.

You don't need to worry about the dormancy with Cephalotus as much as you would with North American carnivorous plants.  They are from the equivalent of a zone 9 climate, and do fine with a minimal dormancy.  If you just drop your lights down to a 10 hour day, that should do it.  I've grown Cephs with no dormancy or change in light cycle just fine.  They just won't bloom unless they get a normal season.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!