Carnivorous Plants/dormant pitcher plant

My American pitcher plant (Sarracenia flava ) is going dormant but only parts of it are dead.  What should I do to help it go dormant?  Currently, I have it inside my home in an area where it is receiving light.  My house is roughly 68 degrees Fareinheit.  Some of the pitchers are turning black/brown.

Hi Caleb,

Just cut off anything that is turning brown.  The plant should be making phyllodia right now.  These are the flat non-carnivorous leaves.  The bigger pitchers turning brown are the indicator that the plant is going dormant.  For now, just keep it in your window where it gets natural daylight hours.  Keep the soil moist, but not waterlogged during the winter.  Be sure to keep it right up in the window so it will be cool.  Ideally the plant should be in the 30's and 40's for the winter.

Next spring you'll want to move your plant outside.  You won't be able to give it enough sun indoors.  Here's a link to our caresheet pages:

Since it sounds like you're new to growing carnivorous plants you might consider our DVD series.  They will help you to avoid the pitfalls so common to new growers including the vast quantity of misinformation floating around the Internet.  They can save you lots of money in lost plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!