Carnivorous Plants/What is this Drosera?

Fork Leaf Drosera
Fork Leaf Drosera  
QUESTION: Hey guys, Jason here. I got this fork leaf Sundew from a guy here and I wanted to know what fork leaf variety it is. As you can see by the picture the older growth is all red and the new leaf is more green do to light. My wonderment besides the type of fork leaf it is, is how to care for it. Does this plant require a dormant period is my biggest concern. If so I'll move back outside, which I'll be honest I'll probably do anyway. Thanks for the help. Jason

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, until this plant is a little older I won't be able to give you a good ID on this.  Many of the D. binata forms look very similar when young.  I've had groups of these in our greenhouse that lost their tags and I couldn't tell them apart until older.  Do you know if this plant was a root cutting or seed grown?  If it was seed grown it's more likely to be one of the temperate forms.  

I wouldn't worry about moving it outside.  Even if it is a temperate form it will probably be fine in your window for now.  When it's older and we can make a better ID and you can find the best spot for it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Arizona Drosera Regia
Arizona Drosera Regia  
QUESTION: Hey Jeff, sorry don't know if it's a root or seed plant.  So I'll just have to wait. Thank you though for your help. I thought I'd also let you know about another experiment that I been doing with the Regia I bought from you.  It's been out in full sun since early October when we were in the midd 90's with humidity under 10%. The plant is still out and temps now are upper 50's to midd 60's day and 30's at night. The plant has awsome color and a ton of dew. When an insect is on the leaf they curl quickly. You and Jacob have a merry Christmas and again thank-you for all the help you both have provided me in growing these awsome plants!! Jason

Hi Jason,

Beautiful regia.  I find that this plant continues to amaze me the more I see them.

I'm glad we've help you, and that you're enjoying growing carnivorous plants.  Have a great Holiday season.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!