Carnivorous Plants/Drosera regia requires dormancy?

Hi Sarracenia guys,

Does the King Sundew require dormancy during the winter?  I live in zone 9 and currently have a King Sundew growing outside in a 10" plastic pot, peat/perlite/sand mix, about 9 hours of late fall sun, and water with distilled water.

I also lightly fertilize the soil with Osmocote pellets (about 5) and the plant seems to be doing well.

Does this species of sundew require a dormancy or will it just go dormant on its own?  If it doesn't should I continue using the Osmocote during the winter months?  The directions on the Osmocote bottle say they're good for four months, it's been nearly four months and I was wondering if it's time I should refertilize?

Hi Akira,

Because you're in California, your climate is very similar to what the plant experiences in it's native South Africa.  If you have it outside it will have a short dormancy during December and January.  Leaves may reduce in size, and sometimes they even die down to a hibernacula.  If this happens, stop fertilizing until growth resumes.  If you have it outdoors, I'm guessing it is catching bugs too, so it's had plenty of food.  Here's a good article if you haven't seen it already:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!