Carnivorous Plants/Drosera scorpiodes slowing dying off

D. scorpiodes
D. scorpiodes  
Species: Drosera scorpiodes
Issue: D. scorpiodes appears to be dying off.
Lighting: Terrarium - flourescent light - about 11 hr per day
Region: Living room :)

As the scorpiodes continues to grow upward, the leaves seem to die off faster than plant actually grows.  

All plants have produced gemmae and continue to produce gemmae, which you can see scattered around the plants pictured.

I top water the plants every few days, and I've tried reducing the amount of light (I have other plants in the terrarium though).  There is about an inch of water in the terrarium at all times.

I also noticed this same behaviour when I had the plants outside for the summer.  (The pot on the left in the pic actually had two plants, but one died off in the summer.)

Please help!  These are among my favourites!  :)

Take care, and thanks in advance,

Hi Susan,

This is pretty normal behavior for D. scorpiodes during the winter.  What you'll want to do is keep them a little drier.  Let all the water in the tray disappear before adding more, and keep only about a 1/4" of water in their tray.  The plants you're loosing could be from rotting out.  D. scorpiodes can live for many years forming long stalks.  Usually after the gemmae are done forming they go back to regular leaves again.  Depending on what kind of lights you are using in the terrarium, get them very close; this plant is used to strong sunlight.  If you are using regular T-12 or T-8 standard fluorescents, get them within 3 inches of the tubes.  If your lights are T-5's, about 6-8 inches away.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!