Carnivorous Plants/What can I grow?

Question
Tank
Tank  
QUESTION: Hello, Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I just started my tank for my CP's My set up is as follows;
4 T5 65000k bulbs, 55 gallon tank, I have the lights raised about 18-24 inches above the top of the tank to allow air flow. The temp inside is currently 86 degrees and 58% humidity.....these numbers do jump around a bit from 85-88 degrees and anywhere between 47-58% humidity. (I currently have my dryer on which maybe causing more humidity right now) Anyways, inside my tank I have D.capensis "typical" and Alba as well as seedlings (Burmanni,D.capensis narrow leaf red,and purple people eaterX royal ruby)
My first questions is; is this ok for what I currently have in the tank?
My second question is what type of Nepathene can I grow in this type of enviorment? I really want a truncata....but if not what else would work in this type of set up?

Mix if pitcher plants in 55 gallon
Mix if pitcher plants  
Black Knight
Black Knight  
ANSWER: Hello Jessica,
         I must say you have a great start on your carnivorous planted terrarium and from looking at your photo YES I think your set-up is good but, I'd add more of a full cover to add to the control of your levels of humidity! You can grow a truncata inside you living or bedroom with very few problems if you have a/c & heating and some sunlight for this is a Lowlander Nepenthes that will get too larger for your 55 gallon tank! I have had little to no added work in growing low/or highlander Nepenthes and all time best thriving grower is the, Nepenthes, 'blackknight' and even my Lowii X campanulata has worked well for my tank size terrariums being the same as yours! I will try to send you some photos and thanks for sending your photo for anything bets seeing what we are talking about!  Please let me know what you are able to found for that has a lot to do with this issue too...it's mostly about the growing size for they will take over and push out other carnivorous plants!  Dan (Daniel Lee Bowen)

QUESTION: Wow, thank you so much for your response! What would be the ideal humidity and Temp I should be aiming for? I do have a top to the tank, I'll put it on now. I live in Clearlake,Ca (I'm not sure if that helps) I have a east facing back porch and a south facing window, would either of these be better for the Truncata opposed to the tank? I'm going to look into getting the "Black Knight" it looks like a very cool plant, thanks for sharing, and thank you soo much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Answer
Terrarium C
Terrarium C  

Terrarium D
Terrarium D  
Hi again Jessica, Humidity in my terrariums are more like 55%-70% for I have a large mix of carnivorous plants where some need the humidity and other don't but have adapted and are thriving! Now on the truncata being it's a lowlander will thriving with warming temps and higher humidity BUT can do with less if you mist with a bottle sprayer twice a day to add to the humidity and you have about 4-6 of good lighting with about 2-3 of it direct cooler morning sun light. I just feel that this Nepenthes would thrive better in the tank but would take over for the pitchers themselves are over 2 feet and I have seen photos of some even larger! In a terrarium you do need to place plants that will have at least a year or two be for have to upset your set-up and even if you keep it in a pot the roots I have found to mix with the other plants and then even harder to remove. Let me know your out come and love follow-ups and photos as you get more plants please! Thanks and hope this help you on what to do in your planning! Your friend Dan (Daniel Lee Bowen)

Carnivorous Plants

Daniel Lee Bowen