Carnivorous Plants/hydrogen peroxide on sarracenia

I live in northern California, and growing several sarracenia's, and one of them (i am unsure of the subspecies) is starting to form  some type of fungus on one of the growth points, i was wondering if i could dilute some hydrogen peroxide and use this as a fungicide?

Hi Nate,

I haven't personally used Hydrogen peroxide, but it could be very effective, and Sarracenia are probably tough enough to deal with the oxidative action.  Since botytis can be serious with Sarracenia in the winter, this may prove to be a good measure when caught early.  Watch your plant after application to see if you get any damage.  Let us know how it goes.

As an overall preventative, sulfur based fungicides provide a good low-tox fungal inhibitor.  Sulfur fungicides aren't that great to treat once you have an infection, but are good for prevention.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!