Carnivorous Plants/Limp N. sanguinea

I recieved this nepenthes bare root with a root ball the size of a shooter marble. it has leaves that are 4in long at the bottom, and puny 1 inch leaves at the growing tip. No pitchers, just dried up tendrils. The leaves are going limp. I have it in a soil mix of mainly moist sphagnum and i am misting it daily. I also gave it a diluted dose of superthrive. All watering has been with distilled water. It sits in my east window getting diffused light through and insect screen for at least 3 hours a day. Can you help me to save this plant. Thanks.

Hi Jaden,

I'm operating on the assumption that you just got this plant.  You're probably getting transition shock from the plant being in a very humid greenhouse, an now is in lower humidity conditions.  What you need to do is keep a clear cup or other cover over the plant for a couple weeks, then open the lid up some to let in drier air gradually.  Open just a little at first, then increase the size of the opening over a few days.  We show how you can do this on our volume #3 DVD, .  After about two weeks the plant should be able to tolerate normal room humidity.  

You location with diffuse light is good until you have the plant hardened-off, then you should move it to a location with direct sun.  Since you live in Nevada, an East window would be best since it will give you the gentler morning sun.  Once your plant is established N. sanguinea likes a sunny exposure.  I once had a friend who lived in Central Oregon (high desert climate) with a beautiful plant in a sunny kitchen window.

Avoid misting.  This is an old myth that has little benefit to plants (any plant, not just cp), and may actually prevent pitchering in Nepenthes.

Hope this helps.  If you have some follow-up questions, be sure and send me a photo.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!