Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes DeRoos Alata

I have a Nepenthes 'De Roos Alata' that is very happy where it's growing.

I want to get another plant, maybe a different variety that likes the same conditions.

What are some plants that will do similarly well?

(It's a few hours of direct sun from a east window, and some diffused daily light), Portland OR.

Hi Lane,

Many Nepenthes hybrids will do well in the conditions you have your deRoose's alata.  Nepenthes x miranda is a great one, the "Poi Dogs" we offer are great plants.  A lowland Nepenthes truncata and N. sanguinea are good species that would do well.  The plants to avoid would be those that have only ultra-highland ancestry such as N. lowii, N. hamata, or true jungle lowlanders such as N. bicalcurata and N. ampullaria.  Complex hybrids tend to do well.  Many hybrids of N. maxima make great houseplants, as do N. alata, N. ventricosa and N. sanguinea hybrids.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!