Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Distilleria

Growing container
Growing container  
Nepenthes Distillatoria
Nepenthes Distillatori  
QUESTION: Allexperts,

I got this Nepenthes Distilleria from you a while back.  I repot this plant in july.   I soaked the plant in  Superthrive for about 15min or more.  I believe the plant is suffering from root damage.  What can I do that I'm not currently doing to get this plant to grow better.   I will put more growing information with this email along with a photo.    Thank you for your time.    

Grow information
Growing in a round Terrarium
Water: Distilled
Light= 1600 lumens
Temperatures 66-73degress F
Humidity= 89-100%

ANSWER: Hi Weylin,

You need to get your plant warmer.  N. distillatoria is a lowlander and needs day temperatures in the 80's and 90's and nights no lower than 70.  Where it comes from in Sri Lanka is known for being oppressively hot, so you may need to put some bottom heat on the plant.  Conditions it likes are the same as N. bicalcurata and N. ampullaria.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Allexperts,

What are some of the ways that I could go about getting the plant a bit warmer?  I need some suggestions.  I  do not have experience, growing either N.Bicalcurata and N. Ampullaria.  I added tin foil hopping to raise the temperature that way that didn't help,please help.   Thank you so much for time.  

Hi Weylin,

You may need a horticultural heat mat of some kind.  Here's an example:  These come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Avoid regular heating pads like you might use for sore muscles.  These get too hot.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!