Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes glabrata

Hi I recently purchased a nepenthes glabrata and I was wondering if you can give me advice and growing tips for this species. Thanks!:)

Hello Ian,

N. glabrata is a somewhat harder to grow highlander. The main thing to remember about highlanders is that they tend to do poorly in constantly warm conditions. Most require temperature variations in which warm temperatures of around 80 degrees in the day drop to about 50-60 at night. Keep the humidity stable and high if possible. Most Nepenthes can adapt to low humdity, but in general you will want to try to keep your humidity above 50% for this highlander.

All Nepenthes do fine under slightly shaded light. They do get direct morning and evening sun and patial sun through the branches of trees in the wild. You can simulate that with 12000 to 18000 lumens of florescent lights indoors or under a tree or shade cloth outside.

Keep it watered so that its soil is always moist, but never allow water to stand under the pot. Waterlogging and stagnant, standing water can cause root rot.

Grow as a tropical, no dormancy required.

The main thing is to keep an eye on the plant and note changes. If it fails to pitcher, but maintains good coloration, it may be suffering shock from a humidity change or lack of proper temperatures. If the plant colors fade and it fails to pitcher, it needs more light.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.