Carnivorous Plants/Pinguicula indoor at wintertime

Hi Jeff, i hope you are doing well. I recently bought P. primuliflora on the pumice rock from you. I understand that it needs a lot of sunlight even if you grow them indoors, so i put it on the south windowsill as directed, but we barely have any sun here in Portland, OR at this time of the year, my question is should i get a light set up for it, or should i just let it go into dormant, and how can i do that? Right now it seem to be doing okay, but some of the leaves start to curled up even more pretty drastically, is that normal?

Hi Novi,

Even though P. primuliflora and other butterworts are more shade tolerant than other carnivorous plants, a light is a very good idea.  Here's an example of one that can work just fine:  We've bought several of these at Home Depot in the past, but any fluorescent desk lamp can work.  It helps if you put them on a timer so it goes on and off automatically.  Put the plant on about a 10 hour day, then longer as we get into spring.  Have the light about 6 inches above the plant.

The outer leaf curling you're seeing now is probably from the change in envirnoment.  Plants always go through an adjustment period from changes in humidity and location.  If you get a light, and get into a stable location it should perk right up.

Letting the plant go dormant amounts to letting the plant have normal daylight hours and cool temperatures.  Unfortunately, P. primuliflora is infamous for rotting if this is done indoors.  They do better if kept growing.  I've had good luck with them outside, but they need to be in big pots and acclimated over the fall.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!