Carnivorous Plants/Terrarium help please?

Question
QUESTION: I want to start a Carnivorous Plant terrarium. Which plants should i start with? Can i put a waterfall in the terrarium, or would that effect the plants? What should i feed each plant? Where should i buy the plants? Is online ok? Please help!

ANSWER: Hello Brandon,
         First thank-you for asking me about this wonderful hobby and know I love and have fun with it! You have some great growers on line to order from and I will list three of the best. 1. www.carnivorousplantnursery.com *Michael 301-2519-7505. www.cobraplant.com  Sarracenia Northwest 503-630-7522 3.www.californiacarnivores.com  The best plants to put in a beginners terrarium would be 1.Butterwort, Pinguicula rating hard to grow from 1-10 about 2 2.Pitcher Plant Sarracenia pururea rating about a 2  3. You can your place Venus Flytraps in your terrarium but let in pot for now, for we will need to talk about handling dormancy. 4. all tropical Sundews like the Drosera 'Spatulata' and Drosera Capensis  Your design set-up on the small rocks and moss is the most important thing to having thriving carnivorous plants, so in on of the corners of your new terrarium you will have to have a hole down to the rocks so you can remove water if needed and start to see the water level and learn where this level needs to be to keep your plants with the best amounts of water! I will send photos but this site will only let me send you two photos at a time but if you like you can send me your e-mail address so I can send a lot more to help you! Thanks and will talk again soon! Dan #Daniel Lee Bowen#

QUESTION: What are the dormancy requirement, because i need them soon. Also, what do i feed them, can i feed them pinhead crickets (not dusted). IF not, what?

Answer
terrarium C
terrarium C  

terrarium design for drainage
terrarium design for d  
hi Brandon,
         Dormancy like for most is 4-6 months and that is cold storage.  I have about 400 Venus Flytraps and out of all of them all but 100 are in dormancy.  That is why I had said for you as a beginner to keep none tropical in pot so you would know these need dormancy and then maybe later on after you have so time in this hobby you could do what I'm doing in the way of crops that you remove and replace with plants you are bring out of dormancy! Yes on the crickets and as a note I buy all mine at PetSmart because they have the different sizes and some of my Venus Flytraps are very big. Now for the sundews I use food food flakes that I add distilled water to and feed with a ear dropper, and that has made my sundews get very large.  If you don't feed your plants they will not thrive and get big with color!   Thanks and

Carnivorous Plants

Daniel Lee Bowen