Carnivorous Plants/tropical pitcher plant

I brought my tropical pitcher plant inside around September.  It has not had any insects since then.  Should I feed it, or can it survive without insects for the duration of winter?  Since it has been brought in, it has grown shoots on the back. One of the shoots, has an unusual thing on the end of the leaf.  It looks kinda like a venus fly trap trapping leaf.  What do you think that is?

Hi Caleb,

For the winter give the plant a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer once every 3-4 weeks.  Once it has pitchers again you can toss it a bug or two.  This type of fertilizing is only for Nepenthes.  Don't do this with other cp or you'll have dead plants.

I would need a photo to help you with the unusual growth.  Not sure what that is.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!