Carnivorous Plants/venus fly trap flower

hi there.          i am confused because some books say that when a venus fly trap produces a flower you should cut it off but other people don't cut the flower stem off.What shall i do?

Hi Miguel,

This often does get very conflicted, but here's what we've found here in our nursery.  For young plants which would be anything with just a single crown or smaller rosette, cut off the flower.  It will slow the plant down as it puts energy into blooming instead of leaves.  With older plants, multiple crowns or you've had it more than one season, you can let them bloom.  They have the size to maintain the flower without it affecting growth too much.

On older plants you can still cut the flowers off if you don't care about seeds.  Venus flytrap flowers are interesting, but not as pretty as plants like Sarracenia or Pinguicula.  If you want seeds you'll need to have two genetically different plants, and cross-pollinate the flowers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!