Carnivorous Plants/over-wintering container-grown Sarracenia

I have a question regarding over-wintering  container-grown Sarracenia. I live in zone 6a and the night time temperatures can drop below 20 degrees F. I realize that Sarracenia are frost tolerant, but prolonged freezes can damage them. If I were to winterize them, what do you think would be the best method to use? Even if I were to put them in an unheated garage or greenhouse, don't you think temperatures below 20 degrees F would still be harmful to them for sustained periods of time?

Many thanks,

Hi Derick,

It really depends how cold, and how long.  If you only have a week of low 20's or teens the garage is going to be just fine.  If it's really cold (I did experience single digits in St. Louis one time), put them in the garage and cover them.  Be sure to spray them with fungicide before storage.  Cut off any dead or dying foliage.  I've had all Sarracenia species survive a week of temperatures in the teens here in the Northwest with tarps over them.  It's important that they are on the ground and not up on a table or bench.  The ground gives additional warmth.  We have usually only lost plants when they've been up on benches, or out exposed alone.  During this time their pools freeze solid.

If you think you are looking at more than a week, then you might consider a little heat to get the temperatures at least in the upper 20's.  This usually isn't too hard in a greenhouse or garage.

Much of this is going to depend on what will best work for you.  Any kind of cold frame is going to be better than plants being fully exposed.  You can also group them together next your your house, mulch them, then put a tarp over them.

As long as they are not allowed to be exposed and dry, they tend to be able to handle quite a bit of cold.  We have customers in Michigan and Upstate New York with bog gardens that mulch and cover them each year, and do fine.

Here's a few plants to give a bit more protection to.  Flytraps can be more sensitive, D. trayci and F. filiformis "Florida Giant" is not very hardy along with Pinguicula primulifora.  Sarracenia psittacina is often reported to be less hardy, but we've had no problems with them.  Certain S. leucophylla clones can be tender such as "Titan".  S. leucophylla "Tarnok" is quite tough, and can handle low temperatures.

On the other side these plants can take very cold temperatures:  S. purpurea subsp. purpurea, S. oreophila, S. rubra subsp. jonesii, Carolina forms of S. flava, S. purpurea var. montana and most of the North American sundews not mentioned above.  Hybrids of any of these are quite tough too.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!