Carnivorous Plants/Arizona Garden

I lie in Phoenix, Arizona and I have always wanted to make a garden outside but the summer heat can be so intense. Will the plants be okay still? Is there a type of garden that will ensure their health? I really want to make a garden!

Please help! and THANK YOU

Hi Manny,

It can be done.  First thing you will need to be able to do is supply large quantities of purified water.  Your tap water is way too hard to use on carnivorous plants.  You would need a reverse osmosis filter that could supply around 50 gallons a day just as a ballpark figure.  You then need a wind-sheltered area that's sunny, but you would need some shade cloth for the afternoon.

The plants that tend to do the best are the southerly species of Sarracenia, S. leucophylla, S. alata, S. rosea, etc...  These plants are already used to pretty hot weather.

Let me know if you can do this and we can talk further.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!