Carnivorous Plants/Dewy Pine Sudden Collapses

Dewy pine
Dewy pine  

Dewy pine
Dewy pine  

Today I went to water my Dewy Pine.  I noticed the plant has some how collapsed.   I have no idea why.  I usually watered the plant 1 a week during the winter.  I have the plant under some CFL lights (3x 100 watts light bulbs).   I have attached pictures to show you what I mean.  Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Grow info:

Water:  Distilled about once a week during winter
Lights = 3x 100 watts CFl lights actual output
Hours of light=  12hours
Repotted recently= NO
Temperatures = 57-69 at night ; Day time = 70-74 degrees at night
Humidity = 20-40%  GUESS
Fertilzed Recently= by bug mostly ... has caught some in a week.  I have not feed it.

Hi Weylin,

Is it too dry?  Feel your soil, and if you can't feel any moisture when you insert your finger into the soil, water the plant.  It may just be wilting from lack of water.  I've had this happen many times.  All over so much hay is made about not watering these guys too much, it's rarely talked about that you can underwater them too.  Hold it over a sink and water it until you get runoff.  If that was the problem, you'll know in about an hour.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!