Carnivorous Plants/insecticide

in one of you online videos you recommend spraying for aphids and mealy bugs with what appears to be Bayer Rose and Flower Insect Killer. i have ants farming mealy bugs in the roots of my s. rubras and want to make sure i'm using the correct insecticide.

thank you! love your videos!

Hi Doug,

The Bayer 3 in 1 works well, as does the Bayer Rose and Flower insect killer.  Both contain imidacloprid, which is systemic and will kill sucking insects fairly well.  Be sure to follow directions on the package.  

Also try and practice some prevention.  If you have a way to keep the plants away form the ants (I know, not possible if they're in a bog garden) that will help.  Try to physically remove as many mealy bugs as possible too.  You can do this with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.  Also, with S. rubra varieties, they become very dense in their rhizome crowns.  Be sure to remove dead leaves, and it's good to divide them every couple of years.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!