Carnivorous Plants/Moving with plants

I am flying from Connecticut to Anchorage, Alaska. How would you suggest that I pack my plants (1 nepenthes, 1 sarr. purpurea, 6 drosera spatulata) to take as a carry-on or in checked baggage?
Thanks for your help

Hi Christopher,

Since you probably won't have to do any declarations for plants, you won't have to be as careful with soil.  Depending on how big they are, the Nepenthes and D. spatulata I would put in ziploc bags in your carry-on.  Those need to stay warm.  You can either leave them potted, or bare-root them and pack them with sphagnum moss, but that depends on space.  You'll have to decide what will work best for you.  If you leave them potted taping down the soil and putting cups over the top of them will protect them.  Don't get to thorough with the tape, however, since you may need to let TSA look at them.  One never knows how much C-4 could be in a Sundew pot. :)  It would be good to have a small roll of tape with you to tape them back up.

Do the same taping down the soil and cup over the top with the S. purpurea, but that can go in your checked baggage.  Try to locate it in the middle of your bag with soft clothing or towels around it.  This one can be in the checked bag since it can take the cold.  It would be good to have it labeled if your bag gets inspected. (Mine has every trip I've ever taken to Hawaii.)

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!