Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes bicalcarata problem

nepenthes bicalcarata
nepenthes bicalcarata  

nepenthes bicalcarata
nepenthes bicalcarata  
I appear to have a problem with my nepenthes bicalcarata. The leaves seem to brown in the older growth. I currently grow it in 80%RH with about 80 during the day and about 70 or so at night. I currently have it under 2 4ft t5s. Please advise what you think, here is a picture.

Hi Jake,

Because you're using T-5 lights, you might be getting a little burn on the leaves.  The ambient temperature is fine, but if the bicalc's leaves are close to the tubes they might be getting a little toasted.  Otherwise your plant looks great.

You might go to this forum and see if others have some opinions on this.  We don't grow N. bicalcurata since our greenhouse is too cold in the winter for them, so I don't have as much direct experience with this plant.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!