Carnivorous Plants/Which Sundews and Butterworts will work best for me?

Hi!  I need winter growing Sundews and Butterworts.  Easy to grow is a big plus, summer dormancy is a plus, inexpensive is a plus  :)  I'm in KC, MO, zone 6 but these will be grown indoors.

They will be growing under bright fluorescent light with newly rooted fig cuttings.  I want them to eat the fungus gnats that are not responding to Bacillus thuringiensis I and Hypoapsis wasps.  I use 3'x3' shelves.  Each has two 4' shop lights with 2 T8 tubes each on either end with 2 26 W CFLs hanging over the middle.  Thanks.

Bob C

Hi Bob,

True winter-growing sundews such as Australian tuberous and South Africans like D. cistiflora are challenging to grow and expensive if you can even find them.  What you need for your situation are tropical/subtropical sundews.  Drosera capensis is great under lights, as is D. adelae, D. multifida, and D. spatulata.  The tropical red form of D. filiformis can also be great along with D. spiralis (this plant was sold as D. graminifolia previously)  For butterworts Pinguicula moranensis is my top choice, and P.x aphrodite is another great one for catching gnats.  P. moctezumae is good too, but you need to make sure this one isn't too wet.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!