Carnivorous Plants/Transplanting, Soil coming out of bottom of pot?

Hello Sir, could you please help me out with some advice.  I am transplanting  my sarracenias into new standard 6 and 8 inch black production pots, cheap one to buy at a Home Depot, and the problem I am having is soil and perlite is coming out of the 4 holes that are at the bottom of the pot, especially when I place the pot into water bins.. Holes are not at the bottom but more so on the sides of the pot and are about 1/2" by 1/2" squares.

My question:  Is there anything  you and Jacob do at the plantation to stuff these holes to prevent soil from coming out from the bottom of the pot? Any kind of screen?  I was thinking of a pipe filter cloth  but concern that the cloth would prevent  air or water from seeping up into the pot which I would want?   

Thank you for you time............

Hi Rod,

You simply need to put something in the bottom of the pot that is porous, but adds no nutrients to the mix.  The best thing to use is dried, long-fiber sphagnum moss.  You should be able to find that at Home Depot in the potting soils section where they have houseplant supplies.  You can also use coconut chips, gravel, pine needles anything that will create a partial barrier to the holes.  Aluminum screening would be fine; I use that in trays sometimes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!