Carnivorous Plants/How Is This VFT And Setup?

The setup
The setup  

The flytrap
The flytrap  
I bought a venus flytrap at lowes, but it was in horrible condition. I also bought a supposedly dormant flytrap and pitcher plant bulbs. I got a setup, and wants to know if everything is fine. Here are some images. It also receives a little light from the windowsill, should the light be on for 16 hours? Or will it burn?          
         Thanks, Yoshi

Hi Yoshi,

Short-term this will be ok.  The flytraps probably were sort of dormant.  It's always hard to tell what kind of condition they are in when you get them at stores, especially in the winter.  When Venus flytraps are grown indoors under tropical conditions they usually live about one year.  Under normal (for Venus Flytraps) conditions they can live up to 20 years.  You may see a little leaf burn since the plants have been in the dark, but don't worry about that.  When new leaves grow they will look normal.

Yoshi, before I answer anymore questions you have a homework assignment.  Go to our website an read the whole page at this link:  After that read this page:  Write back and tell me what you think, especially in comparison to how your are currently setting up your plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!