Carnivorous Plants/what is wrong with these plants

N. mirabilis var. globosa
N. mirabilis var. glob  

N. reinwardtiana
N. reinwardtiana  
These plants N. mirabilis var. globosa, 3" pot, arrived 1/19/13, N. reinwardtiana, 4" pot, arrived 1/9/13, are not looking good. I live in central Florida, west coast.

They receive about 6 hours sun facing south east, original potting soil,kept moist. Other similar plants look great. Could it be a fungus or insect problem? The plants are taken inside for a day or 2 with passing cold fronts under 50 degrees at night. Can you tell what is happening?

Hi Robert,

The N. mirabilis actually looks fairly normal for that plant.  The reinwardtiana looks like you may have some kind of root issues.  It's possible your plant had some damage from the shipping/transplanting.  Unfortunately, it looks like it may be on it's way out since the growing tip looks like it is black.

What you should do for now is keep them bright, but not in full sun.  If your humidity is high outdoors, just keep them partially dappled from other plants.  After a couple more weeks you can move it to a sunnier location.  The N. mirabilis probably just needs some time since it has not been with you long.  The N. reinwardtiana you may need to keep in a bag or small terrarium for awhile to keep the humidity very high, but even with that you may not be able to save it.  Keep it bright, but not in sun.  Fluorescent lights work best for this.  Also, try to make sure your plants are not dropping below 60 degrees.  Mirabilis is a lowlander, and from my experience N. reinwardtiana likes it warm.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!