Carnivorous Plants/Asian beetles

I have a nepethen, pitcher plant.  I also have a venus fly trap.  I am wondering about the asian beetle as a food source.  I have been reading up and it says not to feed my venus fly trap asain beetles or you may kill the plant???  Then another source says to feed the asian beetles, but only once in a while.  Confused!!  I live in the northwest part of wisconsin, and this is the time of year all of the asian beetles come out of the woods and fields and into our homes.  I see my venus fly trap has one in one of the traps.  I am afraid that it will kill my plant.  Thanks for your help.  Shauna

Feeding your plant an Asian beetle will not kill the plant.  Once an insect is captured by a flytrap, it poses no threat to the plant.  In addition, Asian beetles are actually beneficial insects that eat aphids and other plant pests.  You have nothing to worry about the Asian beetle.  They may seem like a pest because the end up in places where they're not wanted, such as our homes, but they pose no threat to your plants.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!