Carnivorous Plants/cephalotus

I have a 2 year old Cephalotus follicularis, the total diameter of the plant is about 2" it is growing in a 6" pot in a Nepenthes growing mix together with my other Nepenthes on a bright light window with a few hours midday sun, I water with rain water, my question is the plant has about 4 small pitchers of about 3/4" (20mm) in size and a number of smaller pitchers grouped together, but as soon as a pitcher grows to the size of about 20mm it starts to get brown and dye off but the other pitchers keep growing but never get bigger then that size and then dye off, what can be the problem? please help, thank you

While it's possible to keep both Nepenthes and Cephalotus in the same soil mix, you have to be very careful about its composition.  Cephalotus requires a slightly courser mix than Nepenthes.  Nepenthes is much more adaptable, but Cephalotus has more specific needs when it comes to drainage and aeration.  Based on the symptoms you described, it's likely that the soil mix is too wet for Cephalotus.  (You didn't mention the composition of your soil mix, so I can't comment on whether or not it's appropriate for either your Cephalotus or Nepenthes.)

For now, I recommend transplanting the Cephaltous into its own pot using equal parts peat moss, perlite, and river sand.  Top water the plant when the top of the soil begins to lose dampness.  Allow the water to drain through.  

Also make sure the plant is getting several hours of direct sunlight.  You mentioned a few hours of midday sun, but make sure it is directly on your plant and not simply indirect lighting.  Lack of sufficient lighting is a common mistake many growers make.  

After making these changes, you might see some pitcher die off within the next 2-3 weeks.  This is normal after transplanting.  The amount of die off will also depend on how severely the roots were affected by excessive moisture.  The plant will also take about 6 months to fully recover.  This normal for a very slow growing plant.

For more information about growing Cephalotus, read our general care guide on our main website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!