Carnivorous Plants/Drosera

My drosera is looking bad ...well not really...leaves are not out and turn black, I saw somthing white maybe is fungus...I have them in a plastic box with water and sun for 5 hours. This is a tropical island

Hi Gabriel,

You might have a couple things going on here.  It's possible you have some soil pests that are damaging roots and/or the crown of your plant.  Treating with a insecticide such as Bayer 3 in 1 could help with this along with a transplant to fresh soil.  Fungus gnats can be a common pest in soil, and if they build up the larvae start to eat roots.  The other issue is your temperatures.  Cape Sundews are used to a cool climate, and yours is quite warm.  Even here in Oregon they tend to slow down in very hot weather in the summer.  If they don't get some cooling at night they can get exhausted.  Watering with some cold water in the late evening could be helpful.

For growing sundews you might consider growing more warm growers such as Wooly sundews from Australia, D. burmanii, D. indica, D. spatulata "Frasier Island" an others that are from truly tropical areas.  Most of the South African species are used to cool nights.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!