Carnivorous Plants/Early season frost

I grow several Sarracenia, VFTs, and temperate sundews in Columbia, SC - and we're expecting to see some unusual freezing temperatures over the weekend. Since our weather closely mirrors that of Wilmington, NC (with a touch more summertime heat), I've always left my CPs outdoors year-round, with the seasonal changes dictating their dormancy and growing periods.

However, as this will likely send them into dormancy about a month earlier than in previous years (we're also expecting temperatures to return to our seasonal averages next week), I was wondering if I should bring my plants in an unheated garage for this first round of frost.

At any rate, I'm curious to hear your advice on the matter - and have enjoyed reading your sage wisdom in the past.
Kindest regards,

An early frost presents no problem for your plants.  It happens in the wild, and plants adapt.  If you're concerned about current leaves on your plants, you can bring them in an unheated garage.  Otherwise, if you were to keep them outdoors, they'll just brown early.  It also takes a series of overnight frost to trigger true dormancy.  A single overnight frost doesn't do this.  It's a gradual process.  

So it's primarily a judgement call.  Your plants will survive just fine either way.  It's usually a matter of preference and weighing the issue of moving your plants inside temporarily for the sake of saving current pitchers for another month.

At our nursery (Zone 8), we grow all our cold hardy plants strictly outdoors.  They are subject to all of nature's erratic weather systems.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!