Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes

Will this nepenthes survive I got it at a store an thea wanted to get rid of it for 4.80 the man sold it to me for 1 and the soil was dried up and the plant was still alive.i watered it a lot of times and put it in a plastic bag I hope it will survived.i got it only because I know I will help it survive.

Only time will tell if the plant will survive.  It all depends how severely it was dehydrated before you purchased it.  Dehydration damages the roots.  If the root damage is mild enough, Nepenthes respond OK.  If the root damage was too severe, the plant will wither despite all heroic attempts to salvage it.  A plastic bag over it will help, but you also have to make sure it gets adequate lighting.  Keep the plant away from direct sunlight and use only artificial lights.  Within a couple weeks, you will know if the plant will survive.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!