Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes ventrata

I am currently growing n. ventata. When a new pitcher is forming the tendrill always tum brown. It gets 4 hours of direct sunlight every day and is on a east window. I live in midd-west Califorina. The soil I'm using is peat moss. I'v grown it for about 3 weeks. I use disstiled water.

Since you recently acquired the plant, it's likely going through a transition phase as it acclimates to your specific conditions.  Tendrils turning brown is a common occurrence when there is a sudden change in the pitcher plant's environment.  This is no different than a houseplant dropping some of its leaves after purchasing it from a nursery.  The length of time for the plant to acclimate to its new home depends on how different your home environment is from the nursery.  Ventrata tends to acclimate quicker than other hybrids, but it still can take up to 3 months, sometimes longer, before you see new pitchers again.  For now, it's a matter of giving the plant time.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!