Carnivorous Plants/nepenthis rajah

This is jim,from cleveland ohio.i have a growing question,but i'd like to say thx rely helped me with the grafting nepenthis, im going to mess with it this spring.i have a nepenthis rajah, bin growing it for a year and a half,and its not that happy with the growing conditions im giving it.i read that its a slow growing ultra question is what conditions are good for n. Rajah being an ultra highland,i dont know how its different than a normal is in equal parts dry spagnum ,perlite,and orchid bark.with 100 wat equivilant floresent bulbs 10 of them for 14 hours a dayThe bulbs are on bendy arms, so i can move them close or move them away if need be.i water every other day .insite on this would be much apresiated,thx again.

Ultrahighland Nepenthes require cool nights, 45-55F.  Without it, they expend more energy than they produce and never grow large.  The light source also needs to be very strong.  You should use a compact fluorescent bulb that has an actual output of 40 watts or more.  (Avoid using equivalent output because this differs among manufacturers.  Always check the actual output.)  The light should also be about 8 inches above the plant.  

Because of the demanding conditions this species has, it rarely grows large in cultivation.  Only a small handful of growers are able to grow this plant to its potential.  The vast majority of growers end up with plants looking similar to yours, and I am no exception.  I recently gave away several specimens because they were withering in my greenhouse.  I simply don't have the right conditions for this plant, and they actually looked worse than your plant.  Those who are successful use expensive setups to control temperature, humidity, and lighting.  This species does not grow well as a regular houseplant.  

I recommend growing Nepenthes that are easier to grow.  We specialize in plants that grow well as houseplants.  For now, you may need to be content with the current appearance of your plant.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!