Carnivorous Plants/Plant feeding

Type: Venus Fly Traps, growing vigorously.   My question is will my traps grow without catching flies?  Until I build a cover for them (to protect from birds) I have them in a kitchen window, well irrigated, full sun and are growing fast and large.  But they get no flies, only the one or two I have caught for them.  I have six plants.

Insects are your plants' form of fertilizer.  They don't need a lot of nutrients.  In most instances, they grow fine with an insect or two each month.  The only thing you may notice if they don't get any insects at all is slow growth and smaller leaves.  Since we're entering their dormant season, they'll naturally be doing this anyway.  In fall and winter, they slow down in response to the shorter days and cooler temperatures.

Because you have your plants indoors, you could feed them an insect or two.  You can catch them outside.  At this time of the year, there are many stink bugs looking for warm places to spend the winter.  

Again, it's not entirely necessary to feed them.  They will naturally slow down in growth as the days get shorter, so nutrients become less of an issue.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!