Carnivorous Plants/Rainwater

Dear Jeff and Jacob,

I have a cape sundew collection coming and I have collected rain water.
However, the rain water is yellow . Is this water safe to use and do you know why it's yellow?

There are many reasons why water is yellow, but without knowing anything about your environment and collection system, I can't speculate what is causing it.  It's best to be safe than sorry, so avoid using the water at this time.  Clean out the barrel or bucket.  Use a mild sanitizer and rinse thoroughly.  If you're collecting rainwater from your roof and gutters, you may need to use a different system of collection since the roof and gutters may be adding contaminants to your water.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!