Carnivorous Plants/soil mix for dewy pine

Do you think a soil mix consisting of 2 parts sand, 1 part peat, and 1 part perlite would be ideal for growing dewy pines? I intend to grow mine in a 12 inch clay pot. Do you think if I added the perlite it would be better to grow them in a plastic pot instead of a clay pot? I know if a soil mix is coarse it can dry out pretty fast especially on a hot, humid day in a clay pot.

Thank you,

The soil mix you mentioned is fine to use with a dewy pine.  However, stick with a clay pot.  This plant doesn't like it's roots too wet, which can happen in a plastic pot.  At our nursery, we've had a much higher success rate with unglazed clay or terracotta pots.  Yes, the soil may dry out quickly, but you can also set the pot in a very small amount of water.  We discuss this and other issues on our Volume 2 DVD.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!