Carnivorous Plants/VENUS FLYTRAP REFUSED TO GO DORMANT DURING WINTER

Question
Our Venus Flytrap
Our Venus Flytrap  
I have two venus flytraps and they are the babies in this household.  Our one venus just refused to go dormant, and it now has a shoot that it is about to flower.  The smaller one I got about a year after the big boy has gone dormant.  Is it suppose to go dormant?  These babies are thriving where we have them on the wooden deck outside our front door. They only receive reverse osmosis water and only get watered at the bottom.  I nearly had a heart attack when I went to one of the plant places where in Port Elizabeth, South Africa they were watering them from the top that is why they were dying.  Wanted to buy another one but it would not have survived will find one again.  Could you also assist in telling me what species it is.

Kind Regards

Liesle

Answer
hello

There only one specie; dionaea muscipula (typical). all the others forms are cultivars. thats mean they are geneticaly modified to gain more color, bigger traps and others 'features'.

Try to let the plant going dormant outside with the colder temps. if the weather is mild enough, you can keep the plant outdoor all year long.

By the way i water all my vfts from the top :)

Carnivorous Plants

Francois Boulianne