Carnivorous Plants/Water filter for Sarracenia

I've been careful to to try and consistently use rainwater or distilled water for my sarrencia -- however this is proving difficult to maintain because of my travel schedule away from home.  I thinking of including my trays in my garden irrigation system and inserting an RV (or under-sink type?) water filter to combat the water issues (I live in  hard-water area).  Does anyone have any experience of doing this? -- will it harm my sarrencenia? -- is there a better alternative :)
Many thanks for any help and advice,

Yes, a reverse-osmosis unit is an ideal source for large quantities of low mineral water.  We use two units at our nursery.  Both process 350 gallons per day.  Most home units process about 75 gallons per day.  You can attach your unit to a drip system and use a programmable timer on the faucet.  This will keep your plants watered while you're gone.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!