Carnivorous Plants/bog garden drainage

I am going to make my first bog garden this spring. I have a plastic pre-made pond liner, its a couple feet wide and long by a foot deep . I dont know if i should drill the drainage holes in the sides a few inches from the bottom, or just drill them in the bottom. I was going to put a couple sarracinia flava, and fly traps king henry in it. I live in cleveland ohio, thx for everything ,you ve allways bin a help

Hi Jim,

I tend to prefer putting the holes in the sides, but I've know folks who have done both and had good results.  It depends some on your weather conditions, and how prone your soil might be to getting saturated and flooding.  The main thing you don't want is for too much soil/ground water to leach back into the bog garden.  That is why I tend to prefer putting the holes in the sides.  You do tend to get a saturated layer of peat in the bottom, but frequent watering helps to refresh and oxygenate.  These recommendation are based on the assumption that the pond/bog garden will actually be in the ground.

If your pond will be above ground, then put the holes in the bottom.  The plants will appreciate the drainage.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!