Carnivorous Plants/freezing plants

I have a Purple Pitcher plant and a Venus Flytrap.  It is my first time growing.  They have been primarily on a window sill and doing really well.  After hearing how important dormancy is I moved them outside just in time for our first freeze, light snow.  The medium they are planted in is frozen as well as water in the dishes they are sitting in (it rained last night).  Will they be OK or did I make a mistake?

I live in KY ( zone 6 I think).

When moving cold hardy plants from indoor conditions to outdoor conditions, we recommend doing so at a time when the plants can experience a gradual change in weather conditions. An appropriate time to have moved your plant outdoors would have been in mid-September.  This would allow your plants time to produce necessary chemicals to help them withstand freezes.

I recommend bringing them back indoors for the winter.  It's not optimal, but you have a better chance of having them surviving the winter at this point.  Place them in the sunniest windowsill of your home, preferably a south window with direct sunlight.  Keep the plant close to the window.  

Over the next week, leaves on your plants will die off.  This is normal and unavoidable.  Clip off dead leaves as they occur.  Only time will tell if they will survive the extreme environmental changes.  It may take at least two months before you see new growth again.  Next spring, after your the risk of frost has passed, you can acclimate your plant for outdoor growing.

I highly recommend watching our Volume 1 DVD.  It shows you how to care for cold hardy plants during the winter months.  We also have general information on our website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!