Carnivorous Plants/leaving plants out side for winter

Hi i have vft sarracenia flava,rubra,purpuria,scarlet bell,vft,and drosera intermedia and was wondering if i have to protect them because so far we had 3 frost this past 3 weeks and plants started to freeze dry and it is about 29 degress i need to protect from frost or will they be fine

Dylan from NYC

Hi Dylan,

As long as your temperatures are in the upper 20's you're fine.  If you start seeing temperatures in the lower 20's or teens, especially if you have wind too, you need to cover them.  If you expect a much longer cold spell, you would need to mulch and cover them, or find a sheltered location such as a garage to have them until day temperatures are above freezing again.  We have detailed, hands-on, information in our volume #1 DVD on how to do this.

Of the plants you have, the Venus flytrap will be the most tender, but the others are pretty tough.

Be sure not to bring them into a warm house.  If you do that it will break their dormancy, and they will not be able to tolerate freezing at all.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!