Carnivorous Plants/lights

I have a Fraser Island Sundew in a window and I am thinking it is not getting enough light.  I have had it for a couple of months and it doesn't seem to be growing, is not turning red, and doesn't appear to have dew.  I think I need to put it under a light.  I have read about LED lights but would an icandescent light such as a GE Grow light bulb work for this plant?

I haven't experimented with LED lights, so I can't comment on them.  Most growers who have tried them out expressed mediocre results.  Besides, at their current value, it would take 5 years to recoup the cost you would save in electricity.  

Avoid incandescent lights, even those labeled as grow lights.  They do not produce sufficient UV light necessary for optimal plant growth.  Instead, use compact fluorescent bulbs or tubes of 40-watts (actual output) or more.  Keep the light source about 8 inches above the plant, 14-14 hours per day.

For more information about using artificial lights, read our care guide for tropical sundews online.

Good growing!
Jacob Farn

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!