Carnivorous Plants/Madagascarensis

QUESTION: Hello guys!

I have a Madagascarensis and its doing well but when it grew it kinda fell to the side. Is that normal behavior? She looks healthy but as you can see in the pictures it kinda loss power for a second there.

She takes sun in the morning and get indirect light the rest of the day. I live in the tropical island of Puerto Rico :)

ANSWER: Hi Gabriel,

What is looks like is your sundews need more sun.  This floppy nature is often a result of this.  In nature these plants would get sun for most of the day.  Your D. spatulata next to your D. madagasgarensis definitely needs more sun.  The tentacles on the sundews should be dark red.

What you can do is just prop up the stem of your madagascarensis with a small stake for now.  If you get them longer sun exposure they should develop stronger stems.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Hello :)

Thanks so mucho.

Need to say that the other plant is not a D spatulata, I have a spatulata in full sun and ..yeah the tentacles are very red :) the one that you see  is a Drosera intermedia. You suggest to give more sun ? I read that drosera intermedia are temperate :/

Thanks again

Drosera intermedia
Drosera intermedia  
Hi Gabriel,

Yes, lots more sun.  I've included a photo I took of Drosera intermedia in North Carolina in August 2012.  The only shade this plant had was a few sprigs of grass, and the temperature that day was in the low 90's.  If a plant comes from a temperate climate, it doesn't mean the summer is necessarily cool, just winter.  Your plant is in active growth.  Otherwise it would have formed its winter resting buds.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!